A while back when my stepdaughter and I were cruising Michael's, we came across a bunch of naked, brown paper mache Halloween pieces. We're not normally ones to go for witchy décor, but for some reason, those hats called our names (along with the wooden veneer sugar skulls).
These hat sat in my craft room for a solid six weeks before I finally turned them from drab to fab!
First things first, I watched a LOT of YouTube videos on how to do mixed media and altering paper mache items. I learned that it is a good idea to give your altered item a coat of gesso to give the item "tooth" for the acrylic paint to properly bond to. Now, I bought the gesso and applied evenly with a foam brush. I didn't read the directions though. My bottle said to let the gesso dry for a full 24 hours. I waited for it to be dry to the touch before I painted my first coat of black acrylic paint. That is when I decided I would quickly read the directions on the paint bottle and the gesso bottle. Oops! :) I'm not sure how my negligence will affect my project, but on my second hat, I followed the directions to the "T".
The black paint I used was a 2 fl oz bottle of Apple Barrel 20662 Black Gloss Acrylic Paint. I purchased this at Joann's. The gesso I used was an 8 fl oz bottle of Liquitex Professional Gesso. I purchased this from Joann's as well. As I mentioned before, I applied the gesso with a foam brush, but I applied the black paint with a #6 round brush (for the very inside of the cone of the hat) and a #12 short flat brush.
Here they are drying with their second (and final) coat of black paint.
I let them dry completely for a couple of days. I didn't have to wait as long as I did, but it turned out my non-crafting life got in the way a little bit. Boo!
Over the last few weeks I have been collecting all kinds of things I thought would look cool on these hats ... everything from sparkly spiders to black silk roses to gem flourishes and feathers!!
I found that fabulous feather trim at Joann's in the Halloween section. I had just enough to cover the two hat brims. I used hot glue to attach all of the decorative elements used on this hat (except for the self-adhesive gem flourishes).
I then tied a pretty tulle bow around the hat and glued in all of the goodies I thought would look spookylicious on this hat.
The one above with the green glittered spider is for my mom, and the one with the orange glittered spider below is for me!
Here are a few pics of the various angles to you can get a better look at what we have going on here:
I hope you enjoyed this project! It was the first paper mache item I have ever altered, and it was so fun!! Everything used on these hats were purchased at Michael's and Joann's.
If you get the urge to make a special décor project, I hope you'll leave a link to your project in the comments below ... I would love to see what you've been up to!
Also - I couldn't help myself. I made a YouTube video to show the hats in more detail. If you want to watch, here you go: